[TR] TR250 Ammeter replacement

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Dec 13 10:35:49 MST 2011

> What should I replace it with a 30 amp or a 60 amp?

I believe the original was 30 amps (approx).  However if there is any chance
you might install some upgrades, like a high power stereo, driving lights or
a bigger alternator, then I would go for the 60 amp replacement.

I haven't tried it, but it doesn't look too hard to replace the wire loop
inside the original.  The number of turns and their spacing from the moving
armature are what are important, so you could go a size heavier on the wire
itself.  I'm not sure of the size offhand, but you should be able to find a
small spool of suitable magnet wire for under $20.  Here's a spool of 14 AWG
@ Amazon for $18:
http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=310354011

-- Randall