[TR] TR6 Meltdown

Graybeal Design drew at graybealdesign.com
Mon Dec 12 13:19:40 MST 2011

Hey guys, it's me Drew again with the carburetor problem fixed but still
needing assistance on a new issue.

I was happily motoring down Pacific Coast Hwy in Malibu when I smelled the
pungent odor of burning wire harness. I pulled over and the cabin filled with
smoke which seemed to come from under the dash. I switched off the key and
lifted the hood to disconnect the battery and found the area around both fill
caps on the battery moist and the insulation on the harness is burned/melted
from the alternator back through the firewall, under the dash and back out and
up to the positive terminal on the battery. I can't believe the car didn't
burn to the ground. The problem stopped when I turned off the ignition.

Did I just have a over charge condition....? What happened? What is the best
fix in terms up update opportunity and cost? Why didn't I blow a fuse? Any
thoughts however random are appreciated.

Thanks,
Drew