[TR] TR 2/3 resonator in exhaust system?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Dec 7 15:30:50 MST 2011

> At least some TR2's started life with one longish muffler - longer than
> the
> tr3 or tr4 - and no resonator.

According to the workshop manual, it was the other way around.  The early
TR2s used a single 18" silencer; while later cars had a 24" silencer plus
12" resonator.

The original mufflers were straight-through glasspacks, very similar in
design (and performance IMO) to "Cherry Bombs" (a US brand of glasspack
muffler).

My TR3 is currently wearing two Cherry Bombs, both as long as will fit in
the space (the rear one sticks out a bit), and the sound is just right IMO.
The single Cherry Bomb I had on the TR3A was too loud for my (adult) tastes,
especially as it had a tendency to set off car alarms.

The current setup will only set off alarms if I'm very close and inside a
garage or similar.

-- Randall