[TR] What should I use on the Chrome?

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Aug 30 15:38:30 MDT 2011

> Hi guys.  The chrome around the windshield and the gauges is pitting
> and
> getting dull.  What's the best product to use to try and bring them
> back to a
> shine?

Fred Thomas recommended using diluted PPG DX579 "Metal Prep" (4 parts water,
1 part DX579), plus fine brass wool.  It works fantastic!  The original
windshield frame on my 56 TR3 was not just dull, but also brown and green
from corrosion.  After an hour or so with the DX579 & brass wool, I have
literally been asked where I had it rechromed!

I had to call around to local "automotive" paint stores to find one with
DX579 in stock.  The brass wool came from MMC.  Spray bottle from Home
Depot.

Unfortunately I don't have any before & after photos of the frame, but here
is a demonstration I did on a rocker cover.  This is literally less than 10
seconds worth of rubbing; it would have polished up much nicer if I had kept
working on it:
http://s258.photobucket.com/albums/hh260/TR3driver/DX579/

According to Fred, the diluted DX579 will not harm paint as long as you keep
the surface wet.  But I have not tried that myself, opting instead to remove
the gauges from the panel to polish up the trim ring.

A coat of good wax will probably help preserve the chrome afterwards, but I
just used some Zymol.

-- Randall