[TR] engine tuning

Gary O'Hagan goh62agan at verizon.net
Tue Aug 23 20:35:30 MDT 2011

List,
It's been a while since I have posted anything.  Mostly trying to make a final
push to get the car on the road.  True to form, the more I do the further
behind I get. Hoped to be driving by the summer (three years ago actually).  A
recap of events:
  Fixed most of the engine issues , so I thought, and planned to drive the car
to the muffler shop to get a piece of pipe welded between the headers and the
exhaust.  Car running a little rough, but would work on that after i finished
the exhaust.  Took a dry run to the petrol station to fill the tank and test
the waters. Pretty excited that the car was doing well.  On the way back
started losing power and barely made it back. Troubleshooting revealed fuel
filters packed with rust.  Apparently sitting around for years wasn't kind to
the tank.  OK, removed the tank.  Had a radiator shop clean it out.  Couldn't
find any one to seal the tank so I did it myself (only to have someone tell me
that sealers don't work and should have bought a new tank- too late). Put the
tank back in , blew out the gas line, had the carbs cleaned, put in new gas
and got it running again.  Tried another short test run but car ran poorly,
made awful noises, started leaking oil, choke cable (new replacement part)
bound up.  Had to walk away at that point, couldn't take another set back.
  So now I'm back at it but still pretty discouraged.  New choke cable has
been replaced and trying to tune the engine but it won't run unless  the choke
is all the way out even after it's warmed. Here's my question: any suggestions
as to where to start, what to do next? Futile question?  Buy a trailer and
haul it around?
Gary O
reassembling the TR one mistake at a time
62 TR4
electric fuel pump
ZS carbs