[TR] Fwd: Oil Filter Adapter - Pot. Problem?

Michael Porter mdporter at dfn.com
Tue Aug 23 17:25:16 MDT 2011

On 8/23/2011 5:07 PM, Chris Simo wrote:
> I used blue loctite on mine and torqued it down. Tightened the filter hand
> tight and upon next filter change the adapter spun.
>
> I had a suggestion to use the copper sealant on the adapter to purolater
> fitting from someone who had the same issue.
>
> Any other solutions out there?

As far as bolt breakage and leakage, these events likely have to do with
the fact that the adapters can't be exactly matched to the mounting
surface of the block.  In the case of the spin-on adapters for use with
six-cylinder blocks (and I suspect there are similar issues with the
wet-sleeve engines), the adapter can't compensate for varying depths of
the seal land in the block.  Let's say that the outer land of the
adapter can't fully engage the seal in the block land because it's not
deep enough.  The inner land will butt up against the block, and no
amount of torque on the retaining bolt will prevent the outer seal from
leaking, thus encouraging the installer to overtorque the bolt.

Conversely, if the block land is too shallow, the outer seal will be
over-compressed trying to get the inner seal to contact both the block
and the adapter, possibly damaging the outer seal and if the inner seal
doesn't contact both block and adapter, unfiltered oil mixes freely with
filtered oil, thus negating the usefulness of the filter.

Because of these production variations on the block side, the adapter
has to be matched to the block or to the existing right-angle filter
adapter, and that requires, in most cases, some machining.  If the
adapter leaks (apart from casting flaws), or the retaining bolt breaks,
or the adapter does not remain in position, one can be fairly certain
that there's a geometry mismatch somewhere, and it's advisable to let a
machinist examine the parts and fit them to each other if one can't do
the work at home.

Cheers.

--

Michael Porter
Roswell, NM

Never let anyone drive you crazy when you know it's within walking distance....