[TR] SMOC explained.

rbtr3a at cox.net rbtr3a at cox.net
Mon Aug 22 08:28:19 MDT 2011

I've had several people email me questions regarding the SMOC.  So I thought I would try to detail it. We do this twice a year and i t was totally free.  We occupy the front parking lot.  We stock all the filters.
How it works.
Time 8-12 noon.

On the opposite side of the church a patron pull up to a registration tent. Fill out some paper work. They then go inside the gym where they are greeted with snacks coffee etc, if children are accompany, they are a able to go play with other children while being supervised by our youth.  The mother is teamed with a female member from our church and they are council ed.

Their car is then driven across to the Que line where it is then advanced to the first station. Here the male youth remove all trash and check the air in tires, fill as needed. Then the car is advanced to the station 2 where the make, model is looked up and an oil filter is placed with a check list.  Now an older/senior male will now advance the car to the Que awaiting an available oil change station. When available the car is pulled up on ramps, the clip board and filter is given to a team member and the oil change is performed to include all fluid levels. Once the change is complete the runner/drivers are summoned and the car is returned to the owner.

The stations; volunteers bring their own ramps pans and tools. They are arranged  side by side skipping one parking slot.  Between each station in the open slot  a stack of oil is placed along with the other fluids, rags and cleaner.  A 55gl barrel is placed between every 4 stations for collection. The filters are drained boxed and baged.  Oil absorbing mat is placed under each car for comfort and absorbition of any spilled oil.  After all cars are complete the residual oil, filters and rage are disposed by an oil reclaimer. The come and pump the barrels and take the filters and rags.

All cars receive 10w30 and we purchase  it through Sams Club. The filter are  purchased in bulk and a deep discount is given by the provider.

A couple of times a year the oil can is passed through the SS classes asking members to sponsor an oil change. A sponsorship is 25 dollars
As you can see this ministry relies on a total inclusion of age groups and genders. Providing everyone an opportunity to participate.

Oh I for got the one important participant. The water boy.  One of our older gentleman rides up and down the line offering cold beverages. Man it was hot.

Earlier this year members of the Georgia Triumph association and our local british car club helped and participated in the effort.
Sent from my BlackBerry. smartphone with SprintSpeed