[TR] TR-3B Head Replacement (John Walker)

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Mon Aug 15 15:22:24 MDT 2011

>I seem to blow my head gasket about once a year and I'm tired of
>replacing it.  Does anyone have photos of how this ring of wire
>is done?  Can the groove be machined in the head instead of the
>block so I don't have to pull the engine?  And will this help
>avoid blowing gaskets, in particular between cylinders?

Dave, I blew the head gasket a second time in just a couple thousand miles recently.  This time I took the head to the machine shop and it was in need of milling, so that caused the fast deterioration the second time.

On Randall's advice, I've also been in contact with the Gasketworks in Southern California, where they sell a ring system with their gaskets.  Apparently they supply Moss, so that would be where to get the gasket itself.  The guy had two thicknesses (I forget the specs) but recommended the thicker one.

I'm still waiting for the order to come in, and along with it the directions for how to use it.  You could try calling them.

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire