[TR] TR-3B Head Replacement (John Walker)

Dixie4 dixie4.wales at virgin.net
Mon Aug 15 07:54:19 MDT 2011

David,

In UK we call this Wills Ringing, I assume some guy called Wills may have
invented the idea.

It was a very popular solution on the Coventry Climax engine used in a
British car, the Hillman Imp, which was well known for blowing head gaskets
when used hard in competition.

The principle of a copper filled groove worked well on this engine and the
machining for the groove was always done to the cylinder head. I have no
reason to believe that on the TR engine it would not work just as well.
Although if you were fitting new liners then the machining work would be
much easier and cheaper to do on the liner.

Regards,
Adrian TR4 CT64306 O
Wales UK