[TR] Correct door mirrors for 62 TR4

Alan Myers amfoto1 at aol.com
Tue Aug 9 17:01:55 MDT 2011

Hi Jim,

This is the type mirror my '62 TR4 had on it originally:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NOS-Vintage-Lucas-Model-407-Mirrors-pair-/110
720104648?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item19c76eb8c8>

Search for Lucas door mirror #407 if the link doesn't work. It differs from
the fender/wing mirrors in that it has a longer base with two mounting screws
per mirror. (If I'd known these mirrors were worth so much, based upon that
auction, maybe I'd have kept it!)

My car only had driver side mirror originally. I think mirrors were not
installed at the factory, but added by the dealer prior to sale, probably to
prevent damage during shipping and meet local re. There probably were a
variety used. I am pretty sure that several different types were listed in the
Spares catalog, last time I looked.

Personally I've never thought the chromed "bullet" mirrors looked right on the
car. I've seen a few on TR4s though, and I think they were one of the types
offered originally.

I've seen a "flag type" mirror, also made by Lucas, used on TR4, too.

I've got Raydyot racing mirrors
(http://www.victoriabritish.com/features/mga/mgami7.htm) on the car now. They
just "look right" to me, but aren't as easy to adjust. Yyou have to remove the
mirror to loosen the mount. But they stay where you put them once set up.

Someone suggested mounting the passenger side first... I agree... It's the
hardest to position so that it can be clearly seen from the drivers seat. Have
someone hold the mirror in place while you are in the drivers seat. The
dirvers side mirror is easier, can simply be mounted to match the passenger
side.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif.
amfoto1 at aol.com