[TR] TR-6 Cam

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Sun Apr 24 11:42:23 MDT 2011

To the Lists -

I am replacing a camshaft in a '73 TR-6 which had two lobes extremely worn and one lobe nearly gone. Disappointing since this cam has only about 10,000 miles of use. The cam lobes that were still good looking had a lift of about 0.240" but it is now history. I purchased a new camshaft from TRF, part # 307621/GP, which is described as a new, chilled iron, stock cam.  I am not looking for any performance upgrades that would require re-working of the head or other components. Before installing the new cam, I dial-indicated the lifts for each lobe and was surprised that they are only 0.213". Is this the actual specification for a stock cam? I did look at the results of a survey that Ray Hatfield send out in October but felt that most cam upgrades would result in a power band at a higher rpm than I'm looking for, hence the stock TRF item.  Any suggestions?

Alex Thomson