[TR] Head Off

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sat Apr 23 23:55:49 MDT 2011

> Also if I have a problem sealing
> around the inlet manifold, are the new thicker gaskets I read
> about on the list available for the low port head and if so from who?

I don't believe they are available for the low port head.

My suggestions: Remove the studs & pins, then lightly rub a fine machinist's
file (which has flat sides instead of tapered) over the surface to pick up
any high spots.  Repeat the operation for the manifold faces.  If the
manifold faces don't line up (the file rides on one edge), have a machine
shop mill them until they do.

When you replace the studs, check that a nut will spin easily down the
entire threaded portion.  If it binds, replace the stud.  Loosen the nuts
that hold the intake & exhaust manifolds together while you install the
manifolds.  (I just left them off permanently.)  Check that the exhaust
manifold doesn't foul the protruding edge of the cylinder block (usually
only a problem if the head has been milled to increase compression, but
can't hurt to check).  And make sure the intake fits over the pins.

I find that adding a heavy flat washer (sometimes known as a 'setup washer')
to the outermost studs helps seal them.  And use new lockwashers on all of
the studs.  Make sure the bridge pieces fit into the little dimples they
belong in.

If you do all that, it should seal just fine.

-- Randall