[TR] Non-TR Tractor Engine Question

Alex&Janet Thomson aljlthomson at charter.net
Tue Apr 19 05:06:37 MDT 2011

Terry -

1. Have you checked to see if the armature turns over freely when the
starter was removed from the tractor?
2. Are both or all four copper brushes free in their holders, making good
contact on the rotor segments?
3. Is this a 12v negative ground system or a 6v positive ground?
4. Try barring the engine over - make sure that the engine isn't tight due
to storage or a water/ice damaged component such as a PTO or hydraulic pump.
5. Be really careful about touching the starter to battery terminals - an
exploded battery from the hydrogen gas being ignited by a spark is not
pleasant! Use cables, instead.

Alex Thomson