[TR] TR4A - Windshield Frame Conundrum

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Tue Apr 5 05:17:59 MDT 2011

On Sunday, April 03, 2011 11:30:33 pm G.D. Huggins wrote:
> All,
>
> OK... this is good.
>
> Tonight I set about working on the hood frame.
> I got it bolted into the tub in the rear, added the "male" latch parts to
> the header rail, then went to add the "female" latch halves to the
> windshield frame. I poked the holes for the small bolts through the new
> plastic covering, started to turn the bolts to tighten, but got no grip.
> "Odd", I thought..  So, I got to poking around and discovered that there
> is nothing there for them to tighten into!
>
> I suspect there was, at one point, a metal plate with threaded holes within
> the frame, and it has since slid somewhere inside the frame itself. Can
> anyone help?
>
> Is it time for a powerful magnet?  Maybe some sort of pressure-based
> fastener?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Guy D. Huggins
> 1965 Triumph TR4A
> CTC 63569LO
>
> Online project diary at http://www.genfiniti.com/triumph

Guy,

Yes there is a metal plate set inside the B post and it must have slipped a
bit. You will have to remove the interior parts in order to locate them.
Unless something is very wrong, they wouldn't have slipped too far.

You should be able to pull them back into position with a small phillips
screwdriver. Once in place, poke the screwdriver through the B post interior
piece and replace the piece which will keep the plate aligned. Tricky but do-
able.

If you are lucky, you may not have to remove the interior, just poke around
with the screwdriver or better an awl.

Unless the plate fell out you should be able to locate the plate.

Bob