[TR] Grant ring set question

fogbro1 at comcast.net fogbro1 at comcast.net
Mon Apr 4 18:28:45 MDT 2011

List,

I'm attempting to fit a new Grant piston ring set to a set of used, AE brand, 86mm, TR4 pistons.

In attempting to assemble the 3 piece oil control ring, I found that the expander-spacer is too long, preventing the installation of the two other rings of this set. The expander-spacer also does not fit the bore. No big surprise, but I thought I'd check it in the bore as well as on the piston. All other rings, compression and oil, fit the 86mm std. bore with a .012 gap.

I tried the oil control ring set from the second Grant ring set with the same result.

The (used) pistons are British made AE, 4 ring. They were installed with the current liners as the engine came to me. There is virtually no wear in piston or liner. The liners were honed to break the glaze.

I have on hand two sets of Grant rings for these pistons.

A few questions for the List:

1. Has anyone experienced this problem with Grant ring sets?

2. Should I just forget about the expander ring set and use a single, plain oil ring above the wrist pin?

3. Should I use two standard oil rings, one above and one below the wrist pin by using an additional ring from the second ring set?

Any insights/comments welcome.

Ed Woods