[TR] Registration & Inspection in Texas

Lee Daniels lee at automate-it.com
Mon Apr 4 14:19:26 MDT 2011

Hello Guy -

I did this just a couple of years ago, but my '74 is a few years younger than
your '65.

Here's what I did, in this order:

 - Get a clear title in my name.

 - Get it insured (required before you get inspected).

 - Register and get plates. In Texas (and most other states) you can get
year-of-manufacture plates for classic cars. I found a pair of never-issued
'74 plates; you have to take these in (BOTH of them!) to the tax office so
they can inspect them before they let you register them. I think I pay an
extra $25 (or so) per year for the privilege.

 - Get all the safety items working, then go get it inspected. Here's the list
that I found on one of the tx.gov sites. It tells you which years are
affected:

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)

* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility

1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. 1988 & newer - inspect for window tinting or coating
20. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old.

The only thing I had to do much work on was the license plate lamp; required a
new assembly.

Now, go out and drive!!!!

 - Lee
  '74 TR6