[TR] TR3 Clutch assy

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 27 18:16:00 MDT 2010

> I have heard all sorts of horror stories about different
> clutch/pressure
> plate/ TO bearing manufacturers.

Alex, the horror stories are all for the later TR4A-6 clutch.  IMO you
should be just fine using the stock TR3 clutch components, just by adding
reinforcement for the taper pin.

I used a 1/4" diameter grade 8 bolt, but there are various other options
discussed at
http://tinyurl.com/24k6jfv

You might want to consider having your old pressure plate rebuilt, or even
reusing it as-is.  I have never managed to wear one out, and had probably
200,000 miles on my old one (before swapping it out for a lighter weight
TR4A clutch along with alloy flywheel, etc).  Ditto the friction plate
(although I did replace it once as it was kind of worn and the gearbox was
out for other reasons).  My FLAPS could send them both out for rebuilding
for under $100, with a 2 week turn-around as I recall.

Don't forget the operating shaft, and the bushings it rides in.

-- Randall