[TR] Electronic ignition systems

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Sep 27 12:28:03 MDT 2010

> I can accept that a perfectly set-up ignition module has the car
> running
> better than perfectly well set-up points,

IMO, that actually doesn't happen; at least not to any measurable extent.
With the Pertronix, XR-700 and similar devices; the energy delivered the
spark plug is determined by the coil, not by the module.  All the module
does is provide "perfect" points continuously, rather than the constant
degradation of mechanical points (plus whatever timing error is caused by
shaft wobble and consequent changes in point gap).

To deliver more spark energy requires something like a MSD-6, that has its
own high voltage power generation and only uses the coil as a step-up
transformer.

Even then, the benefit is dubious under 'normal' conditions.  Where the
extra energy helps is things like starting, or extreme high rpm, or fouled
plugs; where misfire is likely.

-- Randall