[TR] Urethane bushing noise?

TR250Driver at aol.com TR250Driver at aol.com
Mon Sep 27 08:39:06 MDT 2010

Hey Guys,
I have this annoying noise in the passenger side rear suspension of the
TR6.  It has no pattern to it and randomly sounds like a click you would  get
with a loose bolt?  I could get it to click by working the rear up and  down
while the car was stationary.  So I jacked her up, nothing loose so  I
freed the trailing arm from the shock link and took the spring out.   I could
hear the click as I worked the arm up and down with a jack but it was  very
difficult to tell if the noise was coming from the trailing arm bushings or
the inner u-joint?  So I squirted some WD40 all over and let it sit
overnite.  The noise is now gone.

I know urethane bushings are notorious for being noisy.  I would have
lubricated them when I installed them years ago.  It may be possible that  they
have all dried out and just want to squeak and drive me nuts.  I  suppose it
is also possible that the u-joint is bad and the wheel is getting  ready to
fall off. It would take some further disassembly to really  check that out.
I does not make any noise when the axle is turned.  I  can't really feel
any play in the axle assembly.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Darrell