[TR] Electronic Ignitions (formerly Looking to buy)

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Sep 26 09:03:38 MDT 2010

>Was your electronic ignition a Pertronix unit?  How old?  Apparently the
>newer Pertronix units are more sturdy than "older" ones.  I don't know what
>they changed, or when.  Any idea why it failed?

Hi, Anthony.  Actually I'm still troubleshooting.  I did replace the Pertronix with points and condenser, same problem, but am waiting for a new condensor in the mail to be sure I'm not swapping one problem for another.

The procedure was to eliminate the possibility of shifted Pertronix magnets throwing the timing off.  At this point it seems likely that the Pertronix is not the failure point.

How does one test the power of the spark?  Is there a certain Amp value using a multimeter?  ...Or just listen for the "snap" of the spark when shorting it against the valve cover?