[TR] Splitting brakes calipers

v6spitfireguy at cox.net v6spitfireguy at cox.net
Sun Sep 26 06:03:26 MDT 2010

I am considering splitting my 16p brake calipers on my GT6 (same as
TR3,4,6,) to do a through cleaning and repair, they are after all 40 years
old.  This would entail splitting them.  However, as previously noted on
the lists, no data is available for the torque settings of the retaining
bolts, and the o-rings are not readily available.  I do know that some of
you have done this and have established some sort of information on these
settings.
So what torque settings are generally used
What size o-ring was established- or is the actual o-ring available

I havent split them yet, but I do know that the Spitfire calipers have a
rectangular cross section (not just square) o-ring, and as far as I can
tell these are not available from the usual sources such as McMaster Carr
Yes I could look up the torque for bolts of this type, and measure the
o-ring area and establish this myself, but I figured Id tap into the lists
since this has already been somewhat researched -