[TR] tr-3 seats

tfansher at comcast.net tfansher at comcast.net
Wed Sep 22 06:42:27 MDT 2010

I'll wade in with a couple of things. The new springs from TRF have a flat metal ring on the top that are
more comfortable and are like the original springs. Some others have a round metal rod around the outside
at the top of the springs. I have the new springs and they are comfortable.
I used the padding kit from TRF and had to add a little bit of rolled cotton - actually cast padding from
the hospital to fill in voids. The heavy pad for the inside of the back of the seat is formed to fit and I opted to
use the new one in place of a 25 or so year old one on the seat. My thoughts were that it would have had to
have packed down some and I wanted to best look I could get. I don't know if those are "normally available"
raw materials from an upholstery shop. If so that could be an option. All in all, I'm really happy with how the seats and interior turned out. Come see her at Jekyll Island in Modified Touring.
Tom
60 TR3A
61 TR3A at VTR
62 TR4
73 Stag at VTR

Subject: [TR] tr-3 seats

Listers,
Thinking ahead to re-building the seats on my tr-3 using vinyl from one of the
big 3 vendors. I'll be using something other than the new springs available but
am wondering about the padding kit. Can a person purchase the same material at
a local fabric shop? Or possibly simply use foam? Has anyone re-built they're
own seats with materials other than the hessian?