[TR] TR3 Upper Shock Tower Bolts

Brian Jones Brian.L.Jones at gsk.com
Fri Sep 17 12:17:37 MDT 2010

From: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a at att.net>

Subject: [TR] TR3 Upper Shock Tower Bolts

     <snip> the mounting bolts for the upper fulcrum are all wonky. The front
inboard one is a bolt and nut and looks like the DPO put that in when he
stripped the captive nut. The two outboard bolts each had 3 lock washers and
the end of the bolt threads look like they were stripped.     The outboard
fulcrum mounting bolt holes bottom out after about 5 or 6 threads. Is it
possible that the DPO sheared off the bolts last time he did this? Are the
bolt holes supposed to bottom out like that?

Bill: The outer are bolt and nut. Moss has them as 322-025 and 310-050.

The inner are Cap Screws (322-060).

I can't recall from doing mine if the bolt/cap screw differ dimensionally
(thread, length diameter). I'd order 2 of each in case the DPO slung any old
bolts in there, and then decide what needs doing with the captive nuts, if
anything.

     My wife is on my case saying that I break things that aren't broken and
it was okay until I tried to fix it.

That seems a bit bloody harsh. Given the role the items in question have in
getting the car to go where you want it to, and that you are fixing another's
bodge.

Brian