[TR] TR3 Gas Tank Discharge Fitting

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Wed Sep 15 11:59:01 MDT 2010

>      My fuel line exiting the gas tank on my TR3 appears to be leaking
> slightly. I have it in as tight as I can get it. I am broke right now
> and too cheap to buy a new one from the big 3.

Just a thought, Bill, you might try finding some "valve stem packing" and
using it as filler between the nut & ferrule on that fitting.  It's
basically just hard string (generally coated with some sort of lubricant),
and should be readily available at your local hardware store (or maybe even
at work if you still work at the concrete plant).  Drain the tank, undo the
nut, and wrap a couple of turns of packing around the tube between nut &
ferrule.  If you can get it stuffed back inside the tank fitting, and
tighten the nut down on it, it should stop the leak.

I'm not sure, but I suspect the tank fitting suffers from the same issue as
the fuel pump fitting : no one makes a compression sleeve that fits
properly.  If so, then this article from Scott Suhring might be the answer:
http://tinyurl.com/2cwfqe9

Permatex dissolves in alcohol, so is not compatible with gasohol.

-- Randall