[TR] Rear gear box oil leak

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Sep 14 23:11:11 MDT 2010

> Any thoughts from the list, I always appreciate your input.

FWIW, I replaced the differential pinion seal in my TR3 last weekend, which
I believe should be comparable to replacing the gearbox output seal on a
TR6.  That part of the job (I did some other things as well) took me less
than 2 hours, and I work slow.  Only special tool required is a length of
iron bar from Home Depot, with a couple of holes drilled in it.   Here's a
shot of the bar (although using a different pair of holes)
http://tinyurl.com/3y93c2g

$350 for two hours of shop time plus an $11.98 seal is highway robbery.

$1100 for a clutch job is even worse; but it doesn't sound to me like you
need a clutch job.  Most likely, just repairing the wear at the pivot
between clutch pedal and MC is all it needs; but if that isn't enough, the
braided SS clutch line from TSi should get you enough travel.

Randall