[TR] Rear gear box oil leak

thenicholls at verizon.net thenicholls at verizon.net
Tue Sep 14 20:30:52 MDT 2010

List,

Heading off to the local British car shop for some repairs that I do not want to do mysef.

1972 Triumph TR6, leaking rear gearbox seal.  It has been leaking all summer.  The car is a second owner car, and has the same clutch since purchase 5 years ago.  At that time, when the purchase inspection was done, I was told the fork had been "customized" and the clutch would be on my list.  5 years later, the clutch is still quiet, but I do have an issue getting it into first gear from a dead stop.  Does not pop out of gear, no grinding.

So, I am leaving it up to the shop to give me the scoop, a rear gearbox oil seal replacement for around $350, and if necessary, a total clutch job around $1100 (Don't laugh, this is the cheap shop in the big city, don't want to quote you the close shop price  :).

I keep hearing (even from the shop) that if the clutch is working and not causing an issue, I should replace the seal and move on with my life.

Any thoughts from the list, I always appreciate your input.

Craig
1972 Triumph TR6
Vienna, VA