[TR] TR3 dash recovering question

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Sat Sep 11 10:06:55 MDT 2010

I did mine all in one day using a commercial contact spray adhesive
"Permagrip" but the brush-on or spray-on from Lowe's or the local hardware
store is just as strong for this application.

I would try lacquer thinner to clean off the old covering and provide a good
clean surface for the new adhesive.  Needless to say, you need to have a
REAL smooth sub-surface as any little bumps will transfer through the new
cover.  I heated the new vinyl cover by holding it in front of the Modine
shop heater for just a few minutes, it is easy to tell when it is warm
enough as it becomes twice a pliable as when cold.

I trimmed and wrapped the covering around the speedo and tach holes, with no
problems with installation later but you should test this ahead of time to
be sure that it works for your dash.

Be VERY careful with your trimming, it is better to leave too much and trim
it off later than to have too little material to work with as you go around
the many curves and corners of the dash frame.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS30766L  "Tarbaby"
www.triumphowners.com/1566