[TR] PCing a water pump

Jeffrey Johnson mondoluxe at suddenlink.net
Fri Sep 10 22:00:14 MDT 2010

As a student of our P/C mentor, Fred Thomas, I can pass on this
knowledge that was handed down to me from the master. Oh, and BTW, yes,
I've ridden in Fred's TR3- he took me from his house in Stafford, VA to
Fredericksburg, Va on or about May 5 , 2004. His Tr3 was and most likely
still is stunning, The paint was flawless. I am replying to the inquiry
about P/C ing a water pump. I would not attempt this w/ regular powder
coat because of the temperatures, however, powder coat now has an
adjunct- and it is call UV PC. Stick with me- here we go- instead of
using 400 degree oven- it uses ultraviolet rays, Just a thought. perhaps
Fred will chime in here- I certainly hope so-  And yes, if you must
know, I've been in a shop where they had a UV light that cured P/C.

I can relay that I removed the trailing arms from my 1976 TR6 which were
black from road tar- I took them to a guy that blasted them w/ walnut
shells and only charged me $20.00. I took them home all shiny and new
and P/Ced them clear.

Whereas, I've been vilified in the past for singing the praises of
powder coating, I will maintain that P/C is vastly superior technology
and perhaps Fred was just a little ahead of his time.

Jeffrey Guy