[TR] Engine oil for break-in of TR3

wbeech at flash.net wbeech at flash.net
Fri Sep 10 09:34:37 MDT 2010

[I will eventually probably go with a full synthetic like Mobil 1, but  I
suppose at this point I may still need to be "wearing in" the cylinder
liners,  etc. Would a 20W50 racing oil be a good choice or just a regular
20W40?]

I am sure the list will have a lot to say on this topic, but at the end of
the day you will want to be comfortable that you have an oil with the
requisite amount of ZDDP to protect all the old-style innards of your new
engine.  Based on previous List threads and some calling of my own I settled
on Valvoline VR-1 20-50 conventional oil for my new TR3 engine, now with
1,800 miles on it with no ill effects.

Bill

Bill Beecher
'58 TR-3A TS30766L  "Tarbaby"