[TR] Engine oil for break-in of TR3

AA00727 at aol.com AA00727 at aol.com
Fri Sep 10 09:14:05 MDT 2010

I have just over 500 miles on a freshly rebuilt TR-3 engine that  was
modified for increased performance by Uncle Jack Drews with ported and  polished
head, 2.2 liter cylinder liners, hotter cam, and header. I want to  change
oil but I'm not sure what to use at this point.
 I will eventually probably go with a full synthetic like Mobil 1, but  I
suppose at this point I may still need to be "wearing in" the cylinder
liners,  etc. Would a 20W50 racing oil be a good choice or just a regular 20W40?
 At what point can I assume the engine is fully "broken in" and switch  to
synthetics, or should I avoid them and just use a good racing oil?
 Thanks!