[TR] Alternator Kits for TR4A

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Sep 9 15:18:54 MDT 2010

> Does anyone know of an alternator kit that does not require
> me to eschew the original pulley?

I don't know of a kit, but I did it myself by having the original pulley
bored out to fit an alternator shaft.  It did work and I ran that way for
many years, but I wouldn't particularly recommend it.

For one thing, the largish pulley diameter kept the alternator from charging
at idle.  One of the advantages of alternators over generators is that they
can spin faster, meaning you can choose pulley sizes to keep them charging
at idle.  Using the generator pulley throws that advantage away.

It also made it impossible to get the alternator close enough to the engine
to change belts without having to undo the lower mount.  I had to cut the
alternator case, and the engine front plate, and use a longer belt; to get
it to work.

Using one of the smaller diameter pulleys made for the purpose makes much
more sense to me; and is what I'll be using when/if I do another conversion.

Randall