[TR] TR3 Defrosters

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Sun Oct 31 21:51:30 MST 2010

     Few things in life are as pathetic as a stock TR3's heater and defroster...
     I installed an aftermarket Maradyne tractor cab heater and am very happy with it in comparison to the stock heater. I rigged up the defrost vents and had very little air flow out the defroster vents. I checked and it was blowing out of the defroster ports on the heater fine. There was less flow at the end of the detached defroster duct hose and even less out the defroster vent (to a point that I couldn't tell if any warm air was flowing out). I replaced the stock TR ribbed defroster duct hose with a smoother bore flexible aluminum duct hose from McMaster Carr and it flows much better. We'll see how well it does this winter. If it doesn't cut it then I may re-engineer new defroster vents and install a 1 and 3/4th defroster duct hose. That should take a sledge hammer to it. Then again, it may work fine.
     I have been tired of using my sleeve as the defroster/defogger....

     Bill in Tehachapi