[TR] Pertinox Wiring and General Comment

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sun Oct 31 06:27:02 MST 2010

TR3A TS 58667 has been running less than optimal.  Still had pick up, but less than it ought.  Ran rough at idle.  Also seemed like the top end faltered at 4k RPM. Re-installed the Pertonix.  Combed List archives here yesterday; finally found how the red and black wires hooked up to the coil:  red to positive, black to negative for a negative ground car.

But the thing that took forever to find in Archives was that for the Pertonix, the wire in the harness coming from the key goes to the positive coil terminal for a negative ground car.  This must be reversed to the negative terminal when running points.  So, for the record, here it is in one place.

I also found I didn't know how to spell Pertonix.  That, alas, is another, sad, story.

Then I installed the MGB distributor with metal core wires left over from an old plow truck.  Am keeping the old TR distributor with wire screws as a spare in the car.  Power differential feels considerable.  Will never go back.

Lastly, I happened to notice that one of the carb damper screws had come loose and was hanging on the lip of the resevoir.  What exactly would be the symptoms for that?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
Closing in on cold weather in New Hampshire, but still driving with the top down...til it snows!