[TR] Jekyll Video

Bud Rolofson levilevi at comcast.net
Wed Oct 27 21:07:37 MDT 2010

Ronnie,

The Jekyll Island folks were nice to do the video.  What a great
convention you and all who helped you put on this year.  I don't know
how this great group of people pulled off not only a great North
American Triumph Challenge and VTR convention but also with perfect
and I mean absolutely perfect weather and with no bugs (or hardly
any).  There were lots who helped at the cost of doing events
themselves and many who filled in at the last moment.  Having Bob
Tullius there and the Group 44 cars was really cool and the high
quality tech sessions were hard to miss but the fun we had doing the
driving events made up for that.  I still want to know Tony
Vigliotti's tips on strengthening my TR6 frame as that tech session
was during the TSD rally.

Marty Sukey and Jack McGahey deserve mention not only for the beer
swap and the TSD rally they organized, but for handling a difficult
situation with calm when Cecil Wise rolled his Vitesse at the
autocross.  I've never seen anything quite that scary in person at a
VTR event and it was a true miracle that Cecil came out without a
scratch.  Seeing that car upside down and flattened out on the ground
with the windshield folded up was surreal knowing that Cecil was in
there.  The paramedics that were at the event must have gotten to the
car in less than 10 seconds.  And the corner people in work stations 3
and 4 nearby were there instantly.  They should also be commended for
their quick actions.  I was at work station 5 and by the time I ran to
the car there were already people surrounding the car and they had
Cecil out.  I was truly proud of the Triumph folks watching them
immediately do what was necessary such as rolling the car back on its
wheels to keep gas from leaking and removing the battery cable.  Once
Cecil and his wife Mia were known to be OK (given the circumstances)
the Vitesse was moved to the pits, we cleaned up glass and parts and
the autocross continued after a minimal delay and we finished long
before the airport opened back up.  Quite a testimony to the
organization and preparedness by Marty, Jack, and others who helped.

This was one of the most fun VTRs I've been to and I just want to
thank all who contributed.  I hope y'all join us in Breckenridge,
Colorado for NATC XXXIV and VTR 2011 on August 17-21 and that we can
meet the high standards set at Jekyll Island.

I put on about 4546 miles and averaged 26.3 mpg to Jekyll Island and
back so I'm going to miss the driving part of the VTR road trip
experience next year as the driving serves as meditation time and is
cheaper than the therapy everyone says I should be getting for this
car habit I have.

Bud Rolofson

71TR6 CC57365 (Good 6)
66TR4A CTC57806 (The Wreck-Almost parts)
66TR4A CTC57529 (The Project)
71F-250 Camper Special (Triumph Support Vehicle)
Z-50A Hardly Davidson 1977 Honda Mini-Trail Bike (Triumph Pit Bike)
levilevi at comcast.net