[TR] Triumph Troubles ...

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Oct 26 14:27:59 MDT 2010

> that top bold is a bear, very little
> clearance,

FWIW, I installed a Helicoil in that hole, which makes installing a starter
MUCH easier.  This was actually done with the engine & transmission in the
car!  No drilling required, I just ran the tap in and installed the insert
as usual.  Worked great for years (even after I bought a new gear drive
starter and quit having to rework the original one every few months <g>)

For the original installation, I just put the insert in the engine block.
This seemed to work fine for me, even though it meant that bolt was no
longer helping clamp the transmission flange to the engine block.  There is
another bolt close by, so it shouldn't be a problem.  However when I moved
the gearbox & starter to the 'project' TR3, I installed the insert in the
transmission flange instead, so now the bolt is also doing clamp duty.

-- Randall