[TR] TR3A Defrosters

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Mon Oct 25 08:43:43 MDT 2010

     Last year I put a Maradyne heater in my TR3. I really like the heater and stay toasty warm on my way to work and the fan blows pretty hard. The Maradyne has dual 1.75" diameter defroster outlets. The TR3 defroster hoses are 1.25" diameter, so I made adapter fittings out of PVC on my lathe and hooked up the TRF sources 1.25" corrugated defroster hoses. The ducts have no sharp bends or 90 degree angles. I only hooked up the driver's side as a test. Driving to work this morning I configured the vents so 100% of the heater air would go through the drivers defroster. Man, barely any air would come out. As a matter of fact, it was hard to tell if ANY air was coming though. The vent is clear of obstructions. What gives? I am thinking that the rough corrugated hose may have friction losses. I am considering buying an aluminum hose from MMC(item 5262K21). I am also considering trying to open the defroster vent up a little bit.
     Anyone else have this problem?
     It seems like it should blow like crazy out the vent.
     TIA,

     -Bill in Tehachapi