[TR] Windshield Capping Seal for TR4A

Bob yellowtr at adelphia.net
Fri Oct 22 18:08:54 MDT 2010

On Friday, October 22, 2010 04:00:22 pm Guy D. Huggins wrote:
> Listers,
>
> I am wondering if a part exists.
>
> When I removed the capping piece from atop the windshield of the TR4A (by
> drilling out the rivets), it has what appears to be the remains of a rubber
> seal.
> This seal was BETWEEN the capping piece and the windshield frame itself. (I
> suppose to prevent water from getting into the hollow parts of the
> windscreen frame.)
>
> I have looked but cannot find a parts reference for this seal.
> The closest I've found is the seal that attaches to the hood frame bar,
> along with three metal strips, to form a seal between the hood frame and
> the windscreen when the hood is raised.
>
> Does anyone have any information on this?
>

> Cheers,
>
> Guy D. Huggins
> 1965 Triumph TR4A
> CTC 63569LO

Guy,

When I attached the capping to my 63 TR4, I was in the same spot where you are
today. What I did was go down to Lowes and look at their weather striping
selection.

I found a type of weather stripping about 1" wide and in a very long coil. It
had a layor of thich stickyback tape on one side and the other was soft vinyl.
The total thickness was about 1/8" which is what I chiseled out of the
existing capping.

So I stuck the piece to the entire capping and riveted the capping with the
seal installed to the top of the windshield.

I have been through many of heavy rain storms and there are no leaks what so
ever.

I used the same technique on the TR6 I just restored which is more like your
4A than my 4 but still requires the seal.

The key for me was to apply the seal so when I installed the pop rivets the
rivet when through the seal. That way I knew the seal was in the correct
position.

The action of the pop rivets drawing towards the windshield frame compresses
the seal for waterproof installation.

The problem is I don't remember the product name but if you need the name, I
can go to Lowes and check it out.

The seal came in various colors, white, off white and tan. I picked off white
I believe but once installed you cannot see the seal.

Bob