[TR] VTR 2010 Rollover Update

James Henningsen trguy at cfl.rr.com
Fri Oct 22 15:05:51 MDT 2010

Just got back from a great VTR at Jekyll Island and hats off to VTR and all
the clubs who hosted a great event.  Saw the posts on the Vitesse accident
during the autocross and wanted togive everyone an up close and personal
update as I worked station 3 on the autocross course right next to where the
car flipped.  The course ran at the Jekyll Island airport so the pavement on
the runways is not too wide. Cecil was having a nice run and came a little too
hot into the second slalom and tried to overcorrect.  The car slid sideways
through the gate and into the grass.  The car flipped over completely s soon
as it hit the grass sideways.    We couldn't see Cecile and immediately we all
ran up to the car asking him to tak to us as we tried to open the door.  The
Jekyll Island Fire Dpartment truck was right there as they were stationed on
the other side of the runway.  we got the door opened and the Fireman pulled
cecil out.  Amazingly and thankfully, Cecil stood up and looked ok.  Since the
accident happened halfway down the course we knew no one else back at the
start knew he was ok so we radioed back that he was up and ok!  Eigth guys
flipped the car back over and rolled it back up the runway tot he staging
area.  They took Cecil and his wife to the hospital and he checked out ok!!
He later came the dinner that night and thanked everyone who helped out.  That
was the scariest scene I had scene in all my years of autocrossing at VTR.
There was also an autocross accident of a TR6 back in 2002 at a southest VTR
meet at the same location. Driver ok, car slid off course intot he trees and
was wrecked.
Jim Henningsen
Maitland, FL