[TR] to silicone...

Brian Jones tr4zest at gmail.com
Thu Oct 21 13:29:11 MDT 2010

I just syringed DOT 4 out of the master cylinder as much as possible. I
poured in silicone and then went round the wheels in the recommended bleed
order - furthest first. On my tr4 that is rear-left, rear-right, front-right
and front-left. I used a vacuum pump to pull the fluid through rather than
the brake pedal to pump it (I was working alone).

There is a dramatic colour change when the purple silicone reaches the clear
bleed tube. You will know when you have pumped as much DOT4 as you are going
to get out. While there may be a few blind spots where the old fluid
remains, it is of little consequence.

You will read cautions about bubbles in silicone when pouring. I found no
such issue, but did pour carefully. You will also read of seal failures. I
discounted this. However, on reflection, withing a few months, both front
caliper seals failed. They were only 2 years old.

I changed to silicone after a failed master cyclinder destroyed a lerge
patch of paint. It is great to have paint-benign hydraulic fluid.

Brian