[TR] TR3 Windscreen Frame to Cowl Seal Install

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Tue Oct 19 13:15:46 MDT 2010

     This weekend I was installing a new seal between the windscreen and the cowl. For me, the silver bullet was to have someone pull on one end while I pulled to install the other. This made the seal longer and thinner and it slid in fairly easily. I was pulling with some Channelocks, which eventually tore the seal (trimmed off later). If I were to do it again I would have used clamps with a piece of wood on each side to distribute the pressure. We also put the end of the seal in a vise with my friend pulling the other end hard (to make it thinner) and I was able to slide the bottom frame along with some degree of ease.
     I narrowly averted shipwright's disease. I thought "Gee, I should have it all re-chromed while it is apart". Also, one of the machine screws through the stanchion to the windscreen frame is broken off in the threads. I thought "I might as well try to fix this now". I left it and just enjoyed having a new windscreen and seals.
     I am amazed at how much better it is driving with the top up now. It used to leak cold air and water in the winter. Much better.

     Bill in Tehachapi