[TR] Muffler question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Sun Oct 17 17:35:29 MDT 2010

> > So the question is:  "What is the manufacturer and part
> number of a muffler
> that sounds most like the original (deep,throaty & not that loud)?"

FWIW, several times now I've gone to my local muffler shop (Allied Muffler
in Bellflower, CA) and been quite happy with the results every time.  The
first TR3A system was just a bit on the loud side at first, but at his
suggestion I added downturned tip which helped.  When I took the TR3 in, I
mentioned that the single system was a bit loud, so he built a two muffler
system (just like the later factory exhaust), which is absolutely perfect.
Deep & throaty, but not too loud.

On the Stag, he used a single long glass pack on each side, which also
sounded just right to me.

Best of all, I didn't have to get dirty!  I called for an appointment (which
was usually "whenever you want") and the work only took him 30-45 minutes
each time.  The cost was also very modest, something like $200 for the dual
muffler TR3 system.

I think the mufflers were "Cherry Bomb" brand, but not sure on that point.
The term has become somewhat generic for seamless glasspacks.  They are just
'aluminized' mild steel, but the outer shell seems to last essentially
forever.  Generally they fail by letting the fiberglass blow out (but even
that takes a long time).

Randall