[TR] TR6 Ignition Switch Questions

William Brewer wsb1960tr3a at att.net
Sat Oct 16 10:04:31 MDT 2010

     I am going to revise my sleep deprived email below.
     Looking at the
key, the key is only turning to the first position and I can't make it go to
II or III. It must be something in the key lock/column from sliding the column
shaft back earlier.
     Any ideas?

     -Bill

--- On Sat, 10/16/10,

<wsb1960tr3a at att.net>
"Triumphs" <triumphs at autox.team.net>
> Date: Saturday, October 16, 2010, 7:50
AM
>      After
> re-installing the rack and pinion in the 1974 TR6 I was

adjusting where the steering column lines up with the
> splines at the R&P. I
had done this a couple of times,
> driven the car around the block and it
looked ready to go. I
> made one last adjustment and when I went and turned
the key
> - nothing. No ignition light. Nothing. I found the horn bush
> on
the floor (from sliding the steering shaft back) and
> re-installed it. Still
nothing.
>      Is there something in the steering
> shaft that could have
caused this? It seemed like I had a
> steering column lock before, but now it
is intermittent. The
> steering wheel still appears to be flush against the
column
> as before.
>      I get under the dash in the
> drivers footwell
(what a delightful position...) and put a
> test light on the switch
terminals. I don't see well really
> close up so bare with me. With the key
off I have power to
> the brown and red wire (6) and the brown wire (2). With
the
> key on I get power to the white wire (3). I never get the
> wire and red
wire (1) to come on.
>      Did the switch fry? Why would the
> R&W wire not