[TR] New brake master and servo question/issue/safety

TR4Zest at gmail.com TR4Zest at gmail.com
Sat Oct 16 03:01:13 MDT 2010

Craig wrote: Had leaking brake master cylinder. They evaluated the brake
master, it was toast. Evaluated servo unit, it was full of fluid. They do
not do rebuilds. <folks - could we please try to snip orig. post and
comments to comments?>

Craig,

Did they explain why your master cylinder is toast? I am not an originality
freak, but I much prefer to repair and refresh what is originally there
than try to work with a part from India ... unless I have to. Master
cylinders fail through 'expected' wear, mostly, and it is usually to the
benefit of Apple Hydraulics or Whitepost or similar to execute a re-bore
using a brass sleeve. The good-as-new re-bored part can then be returned to
the car. Perhaps there was another failure than normal wear? My local shop
returns to me anything that comes off the car. Does yours, or did they toss
it?

TRF still offer the original Girling master cyclinder. I wonder where yours
came from.

It also sounds like you have a faulty servo. Maybe a valve in the servo is
sticking. I think it unlikely that you have a on/off vacuum causing an
as-expected this time; less than expected next time, brake performance.

Parts for the original servo are available, such as here:
http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/Item--i-GRID006770. If you could have the
original returned, you may be tempted to find someone to rebuild it, as you
say you don't 'do brakes'. The kit by the way, is around $35 and the
after-market servo is around $350 and it has different internals.

Brian