[TR] TR2/3 gas tank question

Randall TR3driver at ca.rr.com
Thu Oct 7 09:49:26 MDT 2010

> Should I expect problems from this light coating of rust? Will it
> overwhelm the in-line gas line filter in short order?

Sounds like I am in the minority, but IMO it is not likely to be a problem.
I ran my TR3A for 20 years with the tank slowly rusting away (as witnessed
by rust flakes in the sediment bowl
http://tinyurl.com/2bxk8y7 ) with no apparent ill effects.

On the TR3, the paint shop got a bunch of paint inside the tank and some of
the tiny flakes were making it past the sediment bowl and screen, so I added
a paper element fuel filter before the carbs.  It's been on there for over a
year (and probably 10,000 miles) with no problem either.  However, I would
recommend replacing it every year or two, JIC.

Randall