[TR] My dad can beat up your dad

terryrs at comcast.net terryrs at comcast.net
Sat Oct 2 17:25:56 MDT 2010

I'm a competitive guy.  Get put down, jump up and try again.

...So.

When I read the definition of the word MORON in the index of a Triumph repair manual, I thoughts to m'self, "I can one-up that!"  Never mind which manual.

I was stranded a few days ago in the Hannaford grocery parking lot.  Took off the distributor, noticed right off that the brush on the distributor cap was down to zero.  Couldn't believe it was still running.

So I swapped out the distributor cap but I didn't want to do it right.  Instead, paying very careful attention not to cross the wires, I somehow managed to do it anyway.  Got the same exact symptons of no fire, no start as the original problem. Must be something else than the brush.

Checked and rechecked the timing.  Swapped to points. Thank you Ed and Lee, I needed both because I'd also managed to bugger up the screw holes in my original plates, so thanks to you now have one good one for running and one for the spare, ...and one (the old one) for the local garbage man.

Nothing.

Rechecked the spark at the wire, then the plug.  Good.  Fuel...good to the carburator.  Pulled the floats.  Blew through clear.  Good.

Rechecked the timing again.  Finally noticed that at TDC, the rotor pointed to the #1 tube like it's supposed to, but the next junction went to #2, not #3.

Swapped the wires and started right up.  That is one sweet sweet sound.

Next time I'm in Philadelphia, I'm going to run up the steps to the Rocky Memorial again, pump my fists in the air, because I am #1!!!  Well, that is unless I got my wires crossed again!

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire