[TR] TR6 Idle Stumble

Bill anabil007 at comcast.net
Sun Nov 7 13:25:55 MST 2010

Well folks I can confirm that a leaking manifold gasket will indeed
cause a idle "stumble".  I have just finished replacing the TR6s
intake/exhaust manifold with one of the Moss "competition" gaskets.
Yes, it took me a while, but in the process I learned several things,
first ... and probably most important early intake manifolds had
casting problems and may not be level ... mine was not ...
A local machine shop milled the ports, I was impressed that he had a
cutter head big enough to cover the port area in one pass ... well
worth the $60 it cost.  I then spent a lot of time removing the carb
gaskets that had been welded to the manifold ... well not actually
welded but it took a couple of hours, a can of Goof Off, razor knife,
wire brush, and finally a sanding block to get the ports all smooth.

I found five of the mounting studs loose, two came out when I removed
the manifold. Used a "permanent" thread locker, double nutted the
studs and tightened them ... "good". Bought Grade 8 nuts and split
washers for the manifold and for the carbs, probably did not need
that but they look pretty.

Remounting the manifold was easy, and I carefully torqued all the
nuts, replaced the carbs using all new gaskets and insulators (BTW
the insulator was duralin? ). Then came the process of re-installing
the carbs ... no human had ever been able to put those nuts on
without some serious cursing ...  I was/am Lucky have AnnaBelle with
her small, deleterious fingers to get the really tough ones at least
started.
Every thing all back together ... I could only work a couple hours at
a time ... (Old Age is NOT for Sissies)  Sat down to start the engine
and check for any kind of leaks ... CLICK !!!  CRAP !!!

So first I removed the wires from the starter and noticed that the
positive terminal on the starter was a tad loose.  (the nut is 12mm,
the terminal is 14mm, future reference) tightened that replaced the
wires ... and VAROOM ... 3000 rpm at Start!!!  Shut it down fast.
Now What ???

Checked the carb linkage and found that my moving them around to get
every thing else fixed had caused one of the link clamps to come
loose and the front carb idle bracket was moving. Tightened all those
little clamps good ... so good that I broke one of them ... that was
it for that day ...  Finally found a screw the right size the replace
the broken one and put that in.  Back to starting the engine, I did,
it did ... and the idle purr was just plain music to my ears. Got
some cleaning to do this morning, and she will be ready to ride (the
TR6 not AnnaBelle)

Thanks for listening ...
--
"Thinking is the hardest work there is. That's why so few people
undertake it." - Henry Ford