[TR] Water Pump

Michael Miles mdmiles at mdmpe.com
Thu Nov 4 16:23:40 MST 2010

Short story about my TR3 block and cooling - when we tore the block down 30
years after it was built I was surprised to find that the port into the
block from the water pump was covered about 30% by casting flash.  It had
never been properly cleaned out during the machining and trimming process at
the factory before the engine was first assembled!

After that I took great pains to port the water pump out to the dimensions
of the gasket, and match the porting on the engine block.

During teardown there was a large deposit of rust behind the #4 sleeve - the
coolant flow is severely slowed and heavier particles simply drop out and
stay back there - leading to some imbalanced and excess heat on the lower
half of the #4 sleeve.

To reduce the effect we matched the porting of the cooling passages from
block to head, and maximized them at the back to increase the tendency for
more flow back there.  Did some other little bits like reducing the ports
toward the front to improve the front/rear balance.

Just to add the belt to the suspenders I did put in the Racetorations
6-blade backward curved impeller.

Which solution solved the problem?  All of them.  Would any one solve it
alone?  Conjectural but doubtful.

Mike M