[TR] water pump Tr3

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Tue Nov 2 15:42:22 MST 2010

> FWIW -- not all stock pumps are created equal.  I have seen (and used)
> some where the vanes are much shallower than were on the original
> pumps and the repros seemed likely to move less coolant.

I've even got some shots of the difference at home.  Eventually, I hope to
get them posted to my Photobucket site.

As I wrote Frank off-list, my project TR3 has been running hot.  Two weeks
ago now, I swapped out what appeared to be the original pump (with the 4
deeper vanes) for a "high performance" 6-vane pump from BFE.  No other
changes, except for yet another back flush and fresh coolant.  Can't tell
that it made any difference at all.

I think cooling problems follow the old chain analogy: the system is only as
strong as its weakest link.  That means improving one of the stronger links
does no good at all.  So my experience only shows that my problem is not a
shortcoming of the water pump (which is kind of what I expected).

-- Randall