[TR] Vendor Solicitation

Randall tr3driver at ca.rr.com
Mon Nov 1 10:23:14 MST 2010

> I have an
> email address that is *only* used for this mailing list, and that's
> the one they sent the spam to, so it's clear they got it from the
> list.

However, that only shows that they got _your_ address from the archives.
It's entirely possible that they used more than one source and so got
someone else's address through another means.

That said, I find it hard to believe that Moss would deliberately share
customer information with their competitors (or even resellers).  If the
information did come through Moss, it must have been inadvertent, like
perhaps disclosed on their web forum (does it have archives?) or some sort
of e-breakin.

ISTR several cases where members of this list got infected by a virus, which
likely means some spammer got every address in their address book, in-box,
etc.

Also worth considering, perhaps, that the actual vendor may not have
understood they were becoming spammers.  There are lots of persuasive
advertisements floating around in business magazines, to the effect of "Let
us help you reach millions of potential customers".  MailChimp.com is
actually the guilty party here.

Of course, whether ignorance is an excuse or not is a different issue.

-- Randall