[TR] GT6 to Acadia National Park

Jim Muller jimmuller at rcn.com
Mon May 31 21:09:21 MDT 2010

We just got back in from a Memorial Day weekend trip in the GT6 to
Mt. Desert, Maine and Acadia National Park.  330 miles one way, home
to Hadley Point Campground.  Of course we were camping and the GT6
was jammed to the roof (almost) with stuff.  We got there too late on
Friday to do anything except spill out of the car and set up camp.
On Saturday and Sunday we hiked most of the day then spent the
evening pigging out at Maine-ly Meat, a barbeque place attached to
the Atlantic Brewing Company.  Atlantic Brewing makes a superb ale
called Special Old Bitter, or SOB.  A pint of SOB and a plate of
pulled pork and potato salad after a day hiking, that's pure heaven.

Some pics:
http://users.rcn.com/jimmuller/Sharon_and_GT6.jpg
http://users.rcn.com/jimmuller/all_packed_up.jpg
http://users.rcn.com/jimmuller/campsite.jpg
http://users.rcn.com/jimmuller/lunch_at_The_Featherbed.jpg
http://users.rcn.com/jimmuller/top_of_Cadillac_Mtn.jpg

We figure we had the coolest car on the island.  The number of people
asking or commenting about it was remarkable.  Toddlers and kids and
hard-bitten old-timers asked about it.  Pretty 30-something blondes
riding shotgun in SUV's gave us (well, gave me actually) dazzling
smiles and that I-wish-I-was-with-him look.  A park ranger had to
talk about the A-H 3000 she and her husband used to own.  A nasty
looking biker on the Maine Turnpike pulled even with us and swivelled
his head, pointed to the car and gave us a big smile and salute.
Other campers and the folks who ran the campground wanted to know how
we got all our stuff in it.  Customers and the head waitress at Maine-
ly Meat had to ask if that "cool little red car" was ours.  A guy
filling up his 1931 Essex at a gas station in Belfast commented how
it sure was streamlined.  And of course we got thumbs up from other
people at the top of Cadillac Mtn, including the guy with the German
accent who volunteered to take our picture.

Fortunately no state trooper showed any curiosity at all in the red
buzz bomb.  Traffic heading north on Friday was thick and s-l-o-o-o-w
but coming home tonight it was light and fast, very fast.  I really
don't drive the GT6 all that fast.  Big SUVs sure can go fast though.

And the GT6 ran very well, thank you.

It was a great weekend to start the summer.  Be safe, everyone.

Jim Muller
jimmuller at rcn.com